Festkolloquium and Conference
on Algebra, Model Theory and
celebrating Rüdiger Göbel's 60th
University of Essen, February 10,
Cooperation of Mathematics and Physics
in Science Information Management
Eberhard R. Hilf, Institute for Science Networking, Oldenburg
26129 Oldenburg, Ammerländer Heerstr. 121
The phase transition to the
new aera of digital processing of information took place in the early nineties.
Transition means, we scientists with our welltrained and used to ways
to process scientific information in the printing aera,
such as the publish-a-paper-pathway,
central archives, central university libraries, central databases,
printed images of formulae, are thrown into a new world:
New technical means will allow for radical new schemes of services, habits,
- publish (distribute) first, then referee, then archive
- put together
your 'daily personal volume'
- parallel refereeing without publish processing
- free full text access to all world wide distributed scientific information
- distributed databases and document archives,
- control by the author of the integrity, quality, actuality of his documents,
- distributed information nodes at Universities instead of a library.